Monday, August 4, 2008

Thing #16

Okay, love it! I absolutely HATE email because I just cannot keep up with it. Recently, I signed up for gmail because it does a great job organizing emails when others reply to an original email. However, this wiki stuff is great - having it all in one place to look at instead of trying to find emails about something upcoming; such as, the scenario of the group of people planning a camping trip created by the CommonCraft guys. I think this wiki stuff is a great tool to enhance learning and lesson planning for our students! I am hoping there are other math teachers out there who get into this 2.0 and all these great things I am learning with the 23 things this summer. Then we can all share with each other and use each other's ideas and feedback. And i really liked the main comment on the sandbox discussion page about being able to eliminate some meetings because we could have a quicker more efficient discussion space. And what about using this space for grade levels planning school supplies, that way we don't ALL have to meet and talk about school supplies (last year we could not find a time where everyone in the level could meet; math, language arts, social studies, science, etc).

I created a pbwiki and wiki page for a 6th grade math classroom (not sure which I want to use). I am not yet sure what I am going to do with this, but it's a start! I did a search in pbwiki for math and also 6th grade math, but there were no results found. I did the same search in wiki and found a ton of stuff, but I don't think you can view anyone's page unless you become a member? So, I saw a lot of pages that were set up (items on the side, like a side-toolbar), but nothing actually on the page when you click the links. So, it's hard to see what others are using it for, but you can tell some of them were by subject and grade levels.

1 comment:

VWB said...

great idea about making one of each to see which you like best! hadn't really thought about doing that in the beginning of my wiki learning.

whether to make a wiki public or not is usually set when you are developing parameters...I advocate making the info public, but perhaps, limiting who can edit. But of course, things change if you are dealing with kids, especially younger ones