Monday, July 21, 2008

Thing #5

Can you estimate the amount of pennies raised for a charity at the Rockefeller Center in New York?

Coin pic


Answer: approximately one hundred million pennies! Do you know how many dollars that is? hint: think about how many pennies are in one dollar! (I teach 6th grade)

So...Thing #5 has been the most time consuming for me so far. I thought it was fun to look through a bunch of pictures on Flickr until I had to find a picture using keywords from my subject and curriculum which is Math - oh, how exciting! (not really). I realized quickly, I'm going to have to get creative when it comes to my subject area. I started thinking about how math is in everything - and I thought about money!

Then I thought about the math involved in recipes (measuring ingredients)...like to make ice cream!
Dippin' Dots Ice Cream!


Dippin' dots

...And cookies!


hershey kiss cookies

3 comments:

Mamalibearian said...

Isn't Flickr cool? There are so many possibilities. I'm sure you will think of tons of uses for it! That's how I was. Once I got started, it just seemed endless. Keep up the good work!

Cheryl Laucher said...

Yummy blog. I think I need an ice cream break now. Your students will love finding math in everything!

christiefrey said...

Can someone tell me if i did this right? I'm i supposed to have something labeled near the pictures i took from Flickr ("some rights reserved" or something? - i got them from the "Creative Commons", but i'm still a little confused)