Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thing #7 "Cool Google Tools"

I love the "Notebook and the "Google Advanced Search." I found some awesome websites for math. I put "adding fractions" in the search engine and found a battleship game the kids can play as they add fractions. Creative. (pick the "easy" level for 6th grade!) Then, I saved it into my "Notebook." I think these two items will be very useful to me now that I know about them and how to use them! I really need more computer games like this one, where the computer checks the work of the student - less time student is waiting for me to check his/her work, more accurate than a buddy check, and certainly immediate feedback. However, what I REALLY like about the Google Advanced Search is that you can search for powerpoint on your subject. I love that, because I really do not enjoy making powerpoints, and I can use one that's already been created when I am in a bind or a hurry! AND I could introduce a new math topic, for example, simplifying fractions, and the students could research powerpoints to learn more and write what they learned including examples.

No comments: