Monday, July 28, 2008

Thing #8 RSS Feeds

"Just think about the websites and news information sources you visit everyday." This comment comes from our assignment page on Thing 8, and I knew right then this would be difficult for me because I do not visit websites or news information sources daily. But I did have a little fun looking around! I already have a google account and gmail, so I used the Google Reader to subscribe to my RSS feeds. I like having it all in one place. This is great for blogs that I like to keep up with because before, I would keep checking and checking them to see if anything new was posted. Then, I would forget about it, and of course, that is when something would be posted. Now, I can look in one place and see if anything new has happened without having to check websites. This definitely saves time and much more efficient. As for school uses, I added someone's blog who teaches math (I am not sure if this will be useful or not). I also added this website http://www.teachers.tv because I did a search on secondary math and found this video http://www.teachers.tv/video/26366 for probability that was entertaining and could possibly be used in my classroom or something I could get ideas from it. I also subscribed to the funniest/most watched youtube because I could use a short clip to introduce a topic (attention-getter); although, this will most likely be for my personal use since our school server does not allow us to use youtube, so I also subscribed to the teacher tube. I am not sure how useful this service will be for me (yet anyway) in the math classroom unless someone out there has some good math sites that I could use with this. Or a good idea? (I am thinking teacher use only, not students - someone correct me please or enlighten me if I should be thinking otherwise).

How can libraries use RSS or take advantage of this new technology? Well, I am not sure about other librarians, but our librarian is tops in technology. I can only imagine what she can do with this (and she has already completed the 23 things). She is always sending us interesting information on anything she finds in our subject areas, about school, related research, etc.

No comments: